I. The Founding of the Association
The GosokKunphen Association is founded on October 29, 2007.More than twelve years have gone from the day whenour spiritual guide, Gosok Rinpoche, gave his first teaching in Taiwan. Since then, Rinpoche visited various locations in northern, central and southern Taiwan, and imparted precious teachings including the Practice of Calm Abiding and Special Insight, the Three Principal Aspects of the Path, the Eight Stanza Mind Training, theConfession to the Thirty-five Buddhas, Six Session Yoga, and A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life. He also bestowed initiations and empowerments including that of Je Tsongkhapa, Vajrasattva, the Seven Medicine Buddhas, the Thousand Arms Avalokitesvara, the White Manjushri, Vaishravana, the Yellow Jambhala, Usnisa-sitatapatra, Cakrasamvara, NaroDakini, and the Single-HeroVajrabhairava. Over the years, the association has witnessed an increasing number of attendance, many of them with a great enthusiasm in the Vajrayana teaching.
However, Rinpoche has found that many followers of Vajrayana in Taiwan do not haveenough fundamental training as taught in the Buddhist Sutras and commentaries. As a result they often mistake the Tantric practice as means for this life’s gain, which is contradictory to the real purpose of becoming enlightened which is for the ultimate benefit of all beings. Because they don’t have a correct understanding in emptiness, they practice deity visualization without overcoming the self-cherishing attitude, and generate an ordinary arrogance instead of Buddha-pride. Thus, merely receiving more empowerments and instructions will not lead them towards the intended goal, but make them generate more arrogance and underestimate even the teachings taught in the lower Tantric system (namely, Kriya, Carya and Yoga Tantras). Even though desiring for a freedom from the sufferings of Samsara (the cyclic existence of life and death), they are in fact entangling themselves more deeply in Samsara, because of the aggravated self-cherishing propensity.
Therefore, Rinpoche decided to found a Buddhist organization which relys upon the pure teachings of Je Tsongkhapa.He wants to set up a curriculum of a step by step path combining the Sutra and Tantra teachings. The purposesof the organization are, one the one hand, to guide followers to first recognize the fault of Samsara and make a determination to be freed from that, and then generate the two types of Bodhicitta (aspiration and commitment to be enlightened) through the Seven Cause and Effect and the Exchange of Self and Others (the two methods to generate Bodhicitta); along with these,the profound view of Middle Way according to the Prasangikaapproachwill then be taughtin order to cultivate wisdom and induce a correct view of emptiness. On the other hand, the organization will also be a venue where followers can complete the four preliminary practices under qualified teachers,so they lay a solid foundation to gradually receive and practice the Buddhist Tantric teachings. Only then the advantage of Buddhist Tantra can be realized, and followers can experiencebenefiting result through the practice.
In addition, Rinpoche engages in a vast career of promoting the Dharma for the benefit of sentient beings. To mention a few, he is sponsoring the PhuntsokChoeling Monastery in Nepal and the GosokLabrang of Sera in India, both are dedicated on promoting education for Buddhist novice and the fully ordained; He is also leading the reconstruction of Kham Golok, an old monastery with six-hundred years history (a project including building the main hall and adjoined convenience, the setting up of a Buddhist academy, and establishment of schools and health centers for the local people in eastern Tibet). Knowing that the completion of these projects replies upon an integrated effort from supporters, Rinpoche decided to found this Buddhist organization.He named it GosokKunphen Association of Taiwan. Kunphen literally means “to benefit all” and is an expression of the aspiration made by the famous Bodhisattva Kunduzangpo (Samanthabhadra in Sanskrit), thus it indicates the mission of the association.
Everyone who is interested in studying Vajrayana, the path integrating all Buddhist Sutra and Tantra teachings is welcome to join us and to participate in courses taught at our organization. We believe, with right motivation and right effort, one can quickly remove the negative karmic imprint, attain realizations along the path to enlightenment, and also making this life meaningful by accumulating Merit and Wisdom, the two provisions to Buddhahood.
II. Mission and Tasks
GosokKunphen is a lawful not-for-profit organization with the following mission:
1. Following the Aspiration of Bodhisattva Samathabhadra, we practice generosity, help the poor and diseased, and work for the benefit of all beings.
2. We promote the Buddha Dharma through teaching and learning the Buddhist scriptures and the development of the right view and wisdom.
3. We organize teachings, empowerments and other Dharma events as an effort on the preservation of the precious Dharma passed down by lineage masters.
4. We sponsor the construction of schools and the improvement of students’ life with an emphasis on the cultivation of both morality and skills.
We are carrying out the following tasks:
1. In order to lay a foundation on the trainings taught in the Sutrasand commentaries, and to allow followers to realize the true benefit of Vajrayana practice, we are organizing seminars on various topics of teachings and arranging empowerments to introduce the step by step systematic approach in learning Vajrayana.
2. We are giving presentationsin public schools and institutes to bring the Dharma to the society, with a sincere hope to purify people’s mind and to share our experiences on how to maintain a peaceful and positive attitude in day to day life.
3. We are lawfully selling and advertising audio/video recordings and books authored by Gosok Rinpoche and other contemporary Buddhist teachers.
4. We have set up scholarship to reward students from a poor family so that they can continue their studies worry free.
5. We are sponsoring the reconstruction of monasteries and schools in Tibet, Nepal and India, to preserve the Tibetan culture tradition and to bring benefit to children in poor and remote areas.
6. To cooperate with government policy, we conduct help-the-poor events and visit kindergartens and nursing homes on a regular base; and through levels of sub committees, our members are assisting the rescue of disasters and other social welfare and charities.
7. Other activities in supporting the promotion of public welfare and cultural development.
Address:No.59, Chang’an St., Changzhi Township, Pingtung County 908, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Bank Account: 42240331
Name of Account: GosokKunphen Association ROC-Gosok Lama
GosokKunphen on Facebook
PhuntsokChoeling on Facebook